Note: Examiner.com (my employer and very well know enterprise Drupal 7 site) gives every developer a so-called "Drupal day" every other week. I am writing this blog post as part of it as I do some of my code contributions.
Since last post we fixed:
- [#2204325] The "rendered entity" formatter breaks for entity types with out a ViewBuilder (thanks to @Arla)
- [#2239413] Split FilterCaption into FilterAlign (for data-align) and FilterCaption (for data-caption) (thanks to @Wim Leers and @blueminds)
- [#2271349] Node and Comment ops links should be display components (which can be disabled) (thanks to @Berdir, @Arla, @blueminds, @larowlan and @Dave Reid)
We are currently focusing on few issues:
- [#2278073] Files with spaces in URIs fail entity TypedData validation - this issue turns out to be quite tricky. We had some discussions about possible solutions in Amsterdam.
- [#2148353] File access (hook_file_download) does not use an EntityAccessController - should be almost there; needs just a bit more work
- [#1308152] Add module://, theme:// and profile:// stream wrappers to access system files - RTBC at the moment; it seems to be almost there. Yay! Thank you all that worked on it during Amsterdam and after it.
We've been chasing HEAD a lot during past months. We can't guarantee that everything works at any given time, but we're trying to follow changes in core as frequently as we can.
- entity_embed is practically ready (thanks to our GSoC student @cs_shadow). We are planning to split it's general functionality into embed module that would allow other modules to embed various types of content (not just Drupal entities). entity_embed will become just one of the modules in this group. @Dave Reid, @cs_shadow and @eaton did most work on planning this split.
- entity_browser is not progressing as fast as we'd like, but it gained some momentum recently. @kmoll and myself have been working on base APIs during last two weeks or so. We are hoping to have first working demo in a month or so.
- media_entity is also progressing well. Besides HEAD chasing I implemented media type provider plugins, which are responsible for business logic behind media (validation and providing additional fields ATM - we will add more responsibilities as we go). There is also sample implementation (not finished at all, but ready to play with) for YouTube videos. @Primsi is currently working on Twitter implementation and @designesse on Instagram implementation.
Core conversation in Amsterdam
@willyk has been working on initiative funding and organizational efforts.
In Amsterdam we decided that we want to organize 4 dedicated media sprints in 2015 (one in each quarter). Sprinting at events is great, but there are too many distractions to really focus on complex problems we're trying to solve. Organizing a dedicated sprint that focuses on media only should help us to focus and achieve some good progress. We will also set quarterly goals and clearly communicate them with the community. This will help us to focus on most important things at any given time.
Would you like to help organize, provide funds or attend one of those sprints? Make sure you let us know sooner rather than later!
How to get involved?
We have weekly scrums every Tuesday at 15:30 UTC (we are considering alternate time/date, check g.d.o group for updates). You can also find us on #drupal-media on Freenode or follow our updates on groups.drupal.org/media. You can find us at DrupalCamp Serbia and BADCamp.